What is the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program?
The Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars (MWCTS) Program is a state assisted tuition scholarship program for eligible community college students, which provides financial assistance for tuition costs associated with eligible career-tech programs at each community college.
Who is eligible to receive MWCTS funds?
To be eligible for the MWCTS Program, a person must meet the following requirements:
- Be a legal resident of Mississippi who is admitted to both a public community college and an eligible career-tech program.
- Be a full-time student and successfully complete an established number of hours in an eligible career-tech program. If a student fails to successfully complete the established number of hours in an eligible career-tech program or a 2.0 minimum GPA to maintain eligibility, the student may be classified as probationary for one semester in order to continue participating in the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program.
- The MWCTS Program is available to previous postsecondary completers that earned a certificate or degree, pending compliance of admission criteria.
What are the requirements for students to complete in order to receive MWCTS funds?
Once admitted to the Mississippi Works Career Tech Scholars Program, participants must:
- Be a full-time student according to the community college's policy and maintain full-time enrollment.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA each semester and successfully complete courses as prescribed by the program curriculum.
- Participate in available work-based learning opportunities in the selected field of study (contingent upon availability and student’s schedule).
What is covered by the scholarship?
The MWCTS Program will only provide payment for tuition not covered by federal grants, state grants, and WIOA funds. Additional fees and other costs associated with the chosen career-tech program are the responsibility of the student.
Which programs are eligible for the scholarship?
At Meridian Community College, the following career-tech programs are eligible for the MWCTS Program:
- Business and Marketing Management Technology
- Business Office Management Technology
- Commercial Truck Driving
- Computer Programming Technology
- Computer Networking Technology
- Construction Trades
- Dental Assisting Technology
- Dental Hygeine Technology
- Emergency Medical Tech-Paramedic
- Health Care Assistant
- Health Care Data Technology
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Assisting Technology
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Physical Therapy Assistant
- Practical Nursing
- Radiological Technology
- Respiratory Care Technology
- Surgical Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Telecommunications Technology
- Industrial Mechanics & Maintenance Technology
- Precision Machining Engineering Technology
- Welding & Cutting Technology
How do students apply for the scholarship?
To apply for the MWCTS Program, please complete the application and submit it to the Office of Financial Aid at Meridian Community College, 910 Hwy 19 North, Meridian, MS 39307. The form must either be submitted in person or mailed. The application WILL NOT be accepted by e-mail or fax.
Is there a deadline to apply?
Yes, students must adhere to the following deadlines:
- Fall semester - September 1